Thursday, November 10, 2011

Book 19 (2011) A Widow for One Year (zero) by John Irving

537 pages --- how did I finish this book?
Funny, entertaining, good plot, -- I'll give it that.  Now I know the reason why I stopped reading Irving years ago --- typical American male writer of the era --- funny, lots of way out sex, unbelievable characters (also Philip Roth, somebody else??)
Characters --- interesting, but exaggerated --- always the more beautiful, the most or best or most amazing whatever.
But although several main characters are women, they did not ring true.   I could not identify with any of their feelings, actions, or experiences.  
The whole plot is a giant male sexual fantasy, every boy/man's dream come true.  
I read this immediately after I read After the Falls by Catherine Gildiner, in which she describes sexual experiences that really happen to people and most important, the aftermath of these typical experiences.   Maybe that's why this book seemed so phony.

No comments:

Post a Comment