Saturday, September 4, 2010

2010 - Mid Year Thoughts on Writing a Blog about Books

This is the beginning of September and I am reading more than I have for a few years.  My brain can focus nicely on what I am reading.   The desired affect of the blog and a goal in providing a strong momentum for reading has been accomplished.  The pile of unread books still looms over me, not stressing me but rather motivating me to read more and faster.   I am going to read a minimum of two books a week from now on.   I have been averaging more, but not imposing a minimum per week.  

I am finding so many books that I want to read.   I seemed to have had trouble finding books that I liked in the past few years.

I've bought many more books this year, knowing I would read them.   I've found many new authors (to me) and learned so much of course.   Working in the bookstore is so helpful for that.

I've enjoyed analyzing and comparing books.   I've enjoyed enlarging the categories of books I read, and making sure I am reading a great variety of books.   Some about each country, more fiction, more history, more memoir, more business and economics.   I need to eventually read more science, social, and political writing.

I am finishing each book I start, before starting another, so I don't end up with 10 half read books on my bedside table.  

The order in which to read books is still in an experimental mode.   I try to alternate of course, and have the next 3 to 5 books lined up.   Reading two novels back to back is a problem because I tend to compare them, one unfavourably.   A major historical work can take more than a week so I tend to postpone those.   I will have to read more hours for those, as they delay me too much.  

I find myself frustrated with not being able to read many new books and feel like I am playing catch up on the last ten years of writing.   Eventually, I will change to one new book and one old book per week.  

I have not been listing all the books or materials I read:
- if I don't read the entire book, e.g. cookbooks
- rereading parts of old books
- books I browse through or read sections of at work
And of course, the reading list does not include newspapers and magazines.   

No comments:

Post a Comment